Astrosteve approved

Free HTML Codes

Astro Steves Astrophysics Blog: Philosophy is awkward

Friday 23 December 2011

Philosophy is awkward

Don't get me wrong, I love philosophy because it's full of the most interesting and probably unaswerable questions that man kind has ever asked. But I find that the content of philosophy has a direct positive correlation with being REALLY awkward. For example this conversation with a teacher in RS:

"How do you know this room won't dissapear when you leave?"

"Because I can see it on CCTV at the office?"

"Yes, but that may just be an image created by your mind. Or it really could be this room, which reappears so that you can see it on CCTV"

"What if I took a picture of this room, then left... that way I would have physical proof that this room has existed"

"Yes, but it doesn't exist when you look away"

"Well if, as shown by fundamental laws of physics, matter and energy can neither be created nor destroyed; how can this room dissappear?" - Thought I'd sussed it.

"Because it's not made of matter, it's a figment of your imagination. You could be in a deep sleep, creating this entire universe and its laws subconciously"

By the way, this is how I remember it, but these aren't exact quotes (does it matter?)
So, as revenge for your well-planned and mind numbing point, I have an awkward question of my own!

"How do you know this question even exists?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Counter